Pre- and post-procedure instructions for chemical peels
- Avoid using any alpha hydroxy acid product (such as glycolic or lactic acid) or salicylic acid product for 12 hours.
- Discontinue use of Retin-A or other topical acne medications for 24 hours.
- Women: Avoid waxing, electrolysis or other methods of hair removal for a minimum of 48 hours (preferably 3 to 5 days).
- Men: Do not shave immediately before your peel.
- Do not apply any skin care product or makeup to your face (except for lipstick and eye makeup) for three hours after your peel. After this time period, you may use a moisturizer.
- Avoid using alpha hydroxy acid products (such as glycolic or lactic acid) or salicylic acid products until the day after your peel.
- Avoid using Retin-A or other topical acne medications until the day after your peel.
The evening following your peel:
- Gently cleanse your skin and pat dry.
- Use a mild moisturizer as needed.
The day after your peel:
- Use a gentle cleanser or alpha hydroxy acid cleanser (if recommended by your physician) and pat dry.
- Apply any topical medication, moisturizer and sunscreen advised by your physician.
- Apply makeup, if desired.
NOTE: For the first few weeks after a peel, almost every patient will experience slight dryness or flaking which is actually the peeling of old skin layers. This is beneficial and a moisturizer can minimize discomfort.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call our office at (203) 792-4151 in Danbury.
This website is best viewed in
Firefox 1.5 or above, Internet Explorer 6.0 or above,
or Safari 2.0 or above.